Half Dome 2009

Phew! I'm beat. My very special friend Sandy and I hiked up Half Dome this weekend. At 18 miles, it is by far the most grueling hike I've ever taken. Oh, and I also had to trek up the side of the mountain at a damn-near 90-degree angle. What was I thinking?

anyway, here are some pictures I managed to take with my cell phone. Enjoy:

The road upwards. This is about 4.5 miles from the top. Ahead, you can see Nevada Falls.


Half Dome. If you look closely, you can see the cables people use to reach the top. Most sane people would see this part and go "Oh, how nice." and then go back down. I guess I was feeling slightly insane that day, because I went up the mountain.


Sandy prepares for the vertical climb. The view from up here is astounding, by the way.


This is the view from the bottom of the cable part of the hike. Last chance to come to your senses!


Forgot to bring gloves? No biggie. there's plenty of used ones. good luck finding a matching pair!


My one shot from the top. We took a rest for about 30 minutes, then we went back down. Going down the cables is actually easier than going up. Just don't look down!!


Two very tired hikers! How Sandy had enough strength to smile, I'll never know. Mind you, we still had to walk all the way back to the valley. 8.5 miles!


The hike was fun and beautiful, but the next time I go to Yosemite, I'm taking some smaller hikes. This one put my body out of commission. I hope I can walk normally in the next few days!

Comments

  1. Wow, son you really did it! I always said I'd hike Yosemite one day but never did. Ah well, maybe when I get back to the Bay we can do it together.

    Your Mama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Recent Work

Online Store at Society6